Tuesday, November 12, 2013

...who am I!?



Who. 

Am. 

I.


This is a question which plagued me at many points of my life.  

Who am I?  

What's the point?  

Why should I?

It's a question I think all of us make war with.

As for myself, I found comfort looking up at the starry (sometimes) night sky.  Back in my hometown, there's some light pollution, so it's not exactly prime stargazing material, but that's the quality that actually helped me understand the answer.

It was early December, I was waiting for a close friend of mine at the Bell Tower (an important landmark in the city of Muncie).  I took a seat at the base of it and looked up at the sky wondering what exactly was in store for me...

When you look up at the sky, especially in a city, it's quiet. It's dark.  Just a couple really bright stars here and there, maybe Venus or Jupiter, but besides that-

Nothing.  Just empty night.  It's black, unfriendly, and cold (especially in the winter).

What I found was that, as I waited (patiently), my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I saw what was once hidden, the stars which were concealed by the glaring lights of the city.

It was a huge step for me.

You may be thinking, "How in the world does this relate to his original question!?"


In this world, we have lot's of things telling us what to believe.  

Magazines telling us what to wear, how to act, how to treat each other, etc...

T.V. showing us what 'reality' is like.

Games showing us who's who in a galaxy that's waaaaaaaaaaay too far away.  (not speaking against them!  I love those games)

For me, that was the empty night sky so full of questions and not enough answers-  the light obscured the beauty and majesty of the universe created just for us by a loving Father.

I could see the stars, not all of them nor their full beauty, but I could see them.  

My mind made the connection for me as I sat back and enjoyed the view in the brisk December cold.

You see, I was listening a song performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, My Shepard Will Supply My Needs, it's a beautiful song.

I realized that I would always have questions.

I know I am my Heavenly Fathers' Son.  He wants me to learn and grow and sometimes, that means I'll make mistakes.  Sometimes, that means I won't have all answers, I might not even know the question I want to ask but I am His son.  That was enough for me.

The next realization that I had; I had to wait for a moment, let my eyes see what was really there, not just freak out if I couldn't immediately discern anything.  I had to 'tune' out the light to see those stars.

Likewise, we have to stop for a moment.  We have to pay attention to those divine messages we get.  The world can get pretty distracting and obscure the bigger picture but if we want to see those stars, we have to sit still for a moment.

I sat there for a few seconds, shocked at the way my mind put two and two together.

My friend came a few minutes later.  I shared the insights with her and we took a moment to enjoy the quiet peace as we listened to music...
~~~~~
That experience helped me appreciate the wonderful plan that our Heavenly Father has for us and the tools he has given us to learn more about it...

So the summary of what I learned was this;

Sometimes we need to stop our lives, put them on hold for a second, so we can learn about the bigger picture from God, the source of all Truth.

After all, in the scriptures many times in words of comfort, he says,

"...Be still and know that I am God."


(Yes, I am still in the process of discovering of who I am but with this was a major step in that process.  Like my parents always said, "Remember whose you are")


Thank YOU Veterans! 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! I love the allusion to being patient when you cant see the stars right away. knowing who are whose you are is soo important, but you have to take time to understand it. A song that reminds me of this is an EFY song called "I Am His Daughter" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKh3wF7DBPk

    ReplyDelete
  2. The truth is we'll always be learning. No matter what stage we are in this life, or even in the next, we will always be learning. I just know that Heavenly Father has a plan for us to be happy! We just need to learn about it!

    ReplyDelete