Friday, November 15, 2013

The Book of Mormon: A Reading Experience



Sometimes when I would be hanging out with my friends, they would start to talk about certain books that they have been reading.  They would say how great it was and how it lined up in the series.  They would talk about how the character's roles were genius and how they loved the story line.

At these times I would feel separated from my friends, think about something and do whatever I could to change the conversation into whatever it was I was interested in.

I didn't like reading books.  I thought my time was better spent watching TV, playing video games, making music, or doing something else fun.

I had read the "Harry Potter" series as well as the "Series of Unfortunate Events" when I was a grade school student and they made sure you read something.  I did enjoy them when I got into them.

I had the"reading experience" that my friends had so often with very few books.

After I graduated, I wasn't compelled to read much... so I didn't.  College would have kept me reading (begrudgingly) but I did not go to college after high school because I had my heart set on serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I've always wanted to serve a mission because the missionaries were my heroes.  They knew the scriptures back and front and they could teach people how to find happiness, peace, and the truth about God and His plan for us.

As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; We also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.  (Article of Faith 1:8)

The Book of Mormon is a reading experience. 

As I was reading it earlier this week, I found a few verses that struck me.  The people in the Book of Mormon had their own reading experience in Mosiah chapter 25

 And it came to pass that Mosiah did read, and caused to be read, the records of Zeniff to his people; yea, he read the records of the people of Zeniff, from the time they left the land of Zarahemla until they returned again.
 And he also read the account of Alma and his brethren, and all their afflictions, from the time they left the land of Zarahemla until the time they returned again.
 And now, when Mosiah had made an end of reading the records, his people who tarried in the land were struck with wonder and amazement.
 For they knew not what to think; for when they beheld those that had been delivered out of bondage they were filled with exceedingly great joy.
 And again, when they thought of their brethren who had been slain by the Lamanites they were filled with sorrow, and even shed many tears of sorrow.
 10 And again, when they thought of the immediate goodness of God, and his power in delivering Alma and his brethren out of the hands of the Lamanites and of bondage, they did raise their voices and give thanks to God.
 11 And again, when they thought upon the Lamanites, who were their brethren, of their sinful and polluted state, they were filled with pain and anguish for the welfare of their souls.


The scriptures are true.  When we read, we may feel like King Mosiah's people and say "I know not what to think."    
Here are the reactions they felt and you may feel as you read the Book of Mormon.
  1. Brethren out of bondage. . . . . . . . .joy
  2. Brethren slain. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .sorrow
  3. Goodness of God. . . . . . . . . . . . . .thankfulness
  4. The Lamanites in a sinful state. . . pain and anguish for the welfare of their souls 
Reading the book of mormon can be like reading other books.  Most people I know, when they read a book, they want a happy ending.  Just as in other books, the Book of Mormon has protagonists and atagonists and at times the protagonists experience a lot of joy.  However, there are times when they struggle, suffer, are in pain and sometimes they even die preaching the gospel.  Check out the link to read about how this happened to Abinadi, a prophet in the Book of Mormon. 

There are also times they make mistakes, repent and learn from them.
 
 People can change sides!!! :)

In the Bible, it happened to Saul.  He became Paul after running into an Angel who asked why He was persecuting Jesus Christ.  In the Book of Mormon, it happened to Alma the Younger.  Both of them were converted, and sought to serve God and build up His kingdom which they were attempting to destroy not long before then.

For the members of the Church, the Book of Mormon is more than just a "good read."  The things that happened anciently in the Book are for our day.  They are for us.  Those words are His words and they help us be and stay converted to the Lord.  It helps us see the difference between good and evil and the prophets who wrote invite us to choose good.  

The Book of Mormon is Another Testament of Jesus Christ.
The Book of Mormon confirms: 
Jesus IS who the Bible says He is.
 
The Book of Mormon is light and knowledge that comes from God through His holy prophets.  God has always spoken to us through prophets.  It helps us understand God's plan, and it contains the fulness of the everlasting gospel of Jesus Christ.

I love the Book of Mormon.  If the Book of Mormon is true, that means God still speaks to man.  

I invite everyone who reads this to read the Book of Mormon and pray and ask God in the name of Christ if it is true.  I was not the first to invite you to read... Moroni was.



Pick it up and read it.  It is SO good.  I LOVE The Book of Mormon.  I want to share it with everyone.  Everyone should have a chance to read the Book of Mormon.  Please send me a message on Facebook what experiences you have during or after reading/praying about The Book of Mormon.
Thanks for Reading everyone!!! :)  and let me know if there's any suggestions you have for a new blogger. 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment