Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Languages of Love: Giving Gifts!

I've been told that there are five different languages of love by Elder Hart (Which he was told by his Mom, aren't Moms the best?)~

Physical Touch, Acts of Service, Giving Gifts, Quality Time, Words of Affirmation

A couple of weeks ago(STORY TIME!), we were just relaxing during our lunch hour at the apartment.  We were talking, cracking jokes, y'know, the usual.

One of our roommates, Elder Stevenson, asked Elder Mecham for a piece of one of his tiny microwavable pizzas-

This, of course, sparked controversy~

"No."

"Why not?"

" 'Cause I'm a poor missionary."

"Just a bite!  Not that much, I promise," Elder Stevenson never gives up when it comes to food, especially when it comes to pizza, "C'mon, pleeeeeeeeeease?"

At this point, Elder Hart and I start paying more attention and since he's more of a peace keeper, he tries to make some sort of compromise.


I just stand back and watch, enjoying the little escapade(having faith that it would work out, of course[!]).  Elder Hart talks,

"Elder Mecham, What would the Savior d-"

"He would expect me to take care of myself, so I can help others!"  At this point Elder Mecham was getting  exasperated.  Elder Stevenson jumped on that,

"Is a bite really going to make that much of a difference...?"

"Look, if I had enough money, I would buy ALL the microwavable pizzas in the D.C. area, then I would share freely and we'd have enough food to last us for the next transfer!"  He took a bite out of his pizza, "Y'know, it's kind of like, 'I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give',(We quote scripture at each other all the time) just like King Benjamin says!"

As this is going along;

On the inside, I'm laughing like a maniac.

On the outside, I am completely stoic, straight-faced, and serious.

I could tell he was at his turning point, so I wanted to push just a little bit more(being the mischievous person that I am)...

"Well, that doesn't mean anything, giving means so much because we don't have an infinite amount."

I paused for a second, thinking about what I said.

That's exactly why giving means so much.  We don't have an infinite amount of time or resources, it's a sacrifice if we give something to someone else, it means more if we have less (usually).  Just like the widow's mite, that Jesus used as an example,




In the end, Elder Mecham didn't give Elder Stevenson a piece of his pizza.

I'm not speaking for or against that, I just want to say this;

We all have choices in our lives, in fact, this life is a time for us to learn to make choices!

One thing that I've noticed through my own time on this Earth is that when we make sacrifices to include God in our life(whether it be time or resources; [remember the languages of love!]) we are blessed for our decision.


...What do you think?
  

1 comment:

  1. You show what you value by what you are willing to sacrifice for. If I told my wife that I valued her but wasn't willing to sacrifice for her, she would know it was not true.

    ReplyDelete