Thursday, February 6, 2014

Lessons you can learn from your shoes...

So it's been a while since I've posted.

I put the blame on shinanigans.  And laziness.

Therefore I, with the beginning of a new year (a month late) have decided to rededicate myself to this blog and share the small and simple things, which is what I originally wanted to write about when I started this blog.

So, I apologize.  This is my personal reboot.

So, a couple of days ago, I was polishing my shoes (something us missionaries have to do on a routine basis to keep up a professional appearance.) and something occurred to me:

This was the first time I had polished my shoes in at least 3 months(to my shame) because I previously been in a bike area.  Consequently, my shoes looked a little... worn.


One of the laces was broken, torn by overuse, the other was almost destroyed, scuffs were everywhere, and the shoes looked like they had been through a battlefield (not entirely untrue).  Now that I'm in a car area, I had no excuse for unpolished shoes, and quite frankly, the damage was a lot more noticeable than I originally thought.

So I went to work!  Lo and behold...



They looked brand new~(almost)!  I was a lot more proud of my freshly polished shoes than I thought I was going to be.  This caused me to stop for a moment:

Sometimes, I go about life without thinking care in the world, 'scuffing', so to speak, my spirit and I don't really think much of it.

My spirit gets worn down, bit by bit, and one day, when I take the time to finally step back and evaluate the damage, it's a lot worse than I originally thought. (It's better to just 'polish' regularly)

But the beauty of repentance, is that I can 'polish' the sins away, by asking for forgiveness and trying my best to stay away from the sins that I've committed. (Still better to polish regularly, it keeps everything nice and shiny)

The shoes are still worn, but like in life, I have learned, I have grown, and those marks are apparent as I go through this existence with the wisdom that I have gained.

Moral of the story?  POLISH YOUR SHOES REGULARLY!

Shoes get dirty quick and if you procrastinate polishing them, it takes a lot longer when you actually sit down to polish them!  It took me a grand total of almost a half an hour to polish both of them, something that could've just taken 2-3 minutes!

It's amazing the things you can learn from your shoes...!




2 comments:

  1. I like your parable of the "unpolished shoes." If someone came in an made your shoes look so "skuffed" you probably would be upset with how disrespectful they were. But when we skuff ourselves and do a tiny bit of skuffing every day, then it is not noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your shoes are looking much better now..Great post and thoughtful analogy. ...Wow a "polisher of souls"..hmmm, what do you think of your new role?.PS . I also wonder," where the 2 other brand new pair of shoes purchased on your behalf are hiding?" :) ~Love and polish from your mother parental unit..

    ReplyDelete