Friday, December 20, 2013

Lessons Learned from Jenny Oaks Baker

Yes, I am a day late.

~BUT NOT A DOLLAR SHORT!

So on Sunday I was able to meet Jenny Oaks Baker for the Second time.  With Alex Sharpe!


Both are absolutely amazing and great people!

Now I've had a total of TWO Conversations with Jenny Oaks Baker and the first went something like this;


I pushed through the crowd asking for a picture(the one directly above), she agreed, posed, and the picture was taken.  Afterwards, she took a look at my name tag and said, 

"That's a very musical name."  I knew she was making a reference to my last name: Horowitz.  

I opened my mouth preparing to make some sort of witty response but another person pushed through asking for a picture.  I was already pressed for time, and she was occupied so I chalked it up to being famous, with a mental shrug of my shoulders, I wished her a good evening and got on my way!

The second went like this;

There was less of a crowd this time and my companion, Elder Elliott wanted a picture, I thought, 'why not? what's one more picture?'

This time she noticed my name tag first, and unbeknownst to her, she said the same thing again,

"That's a very musical name." Internally I thought, 

'Here we go again... I wonder how many pictures she has people ask her for on a daily basis?'

Now ready for the rush that would happen after the picture was taken, I had already prepared my response,

"I get that a lot."  I said with a smile, my quick thinking, my wit, all summed up those five words. Perfectly suave in all aspects.  She gave a wry smile,

"I bet you do."
~~

Looking back on this gave me the opportunity to think about names.

Names help us identify things.  We use them to describe things, people, actions.  She may not have remembered me, but she recognized my name.  She, with her 10+ years of musical study, knew the name Horowitz and stated what she had associated with it.

For me right now, I'm on a mission, that entails me spreading the gospel pretty much 24/7.  We are at this time, representatives of Jesus Christ and should act as such.  It's stated perfectly in 'My Mission Commission'
I am called of God.  My authority is above that of kings of the earth.  By revelation I have been selected as a personal representative of the Lord Jesus Christ. He is my master and He has chosen me to represent Him--to stand in His place, to say and do what He Himself would say and do if He personally were ministering to the very people to whom He has sent me.  My voice is His voice, and my acts are His acts; my doctrine is His doctrine.  My Commission is to do what He wants done; To say what He wants said; to be a living modern witness in word and in deed of the divinity of his great and marvelous Latter-day work.
How great is my calling!
We each do our best and though were not perfect.  We know what we're aiming for!
T

No comments:

Post a Comment